About the company
Cadet Reporter – Greymouth Star – Unique Opportunity
The Greymouth Star has an incredible opportunity for someone to join the team in a Trainee Reporter capacity with an initial emphasis on sports reporting. Earn while you learn to become a fully qualified reporter; how amazing does that sound!?
About the job
Are you passionate about writing, current affairs and getting involved with what is happening on the Coast? Then read on!
You might be a school leaver or someone wanting to change careers. Full on-the-job training will be given to the right person. You will have the opportunity to work for other publications, including the Otago Daily Times. This is a very interesting and varied job. No day is ever the same.
Details of what is involved in the role:
- General sports reporting
- Collating sports results
- Writing sports stories - interviewing people, taking photos of them, and constructing stories
- Keeping a diary of sports fixtures
- Seek out stories
- Answering phones and taking news tips
- In time - general news reporting
Whilst you don’t need to come with any previous experience, you will be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to write quickly
- Strong English skills
- Computer savviness
- Flexibility and reliability
- Positivity and a great work ethic
- Great interpersonal skills
- Committed and dedicated to study
- Great time management
- Good attention to detail
- Must have at least a restricted Driver’s Licence
The successful applicant must be an NZ citizen, resident or have the legal right to work in NZ full time.
What to expect
Shortlisting will commence immediately – Applications close Friday, 26 August 2022.