About the company
Downer has been designing, building and sustaining New Zealand’s infrastructure for over a century and is a leading provider of integrated services in Australia and New Zealand.
With over 12,000 employees in New Zealand, we work alongside some of New Zealand’s biggest businesses, councils and government agencies.
Downer New Zealand is a leading provider of integrated services. Our commitment to building long term relationships and supporting our customers with high calibre services and solutions; the talents of our people; and consistent excellence in operational delivery sets us apart.
Our team in Nelson have a great opportunity for school leavers come and join us. We’re a high performing team so come and join us for your next challenge whilst developing your career further!
About the job
What is Whakatipu Tētēkura:
Whakatipu Tētēkura is designed for Māori school leavers and consists of a series of marae and classroom-based residential workshops where you will learn life skills training and qualifications to get you work-ready and prepared for employment with Downer. This programme leads to full time employment with Downer.
What’s on offer:
- A one week residential programme getting you ready to start employment with Downer. All travel and course costs are covered by Downer. We have two programmes starting in December 2020 with employment starting in January 2021.
- The one week residential programme is– part marae based part classroom based which will give you:
- An introduction to the infrastructure industry
- Opportunity to connect and meet
- Life skills training and qualifications to get you prepared for your new role
- Ongoing workplace, mentoring and qualification support
- After you have successfully completed the programme you will be offered full time permanent employment with career opportunities in front line crew positions nationwide.
- We are offering a number of full-time entry-level crew positions, such as road marking crew, traffic controllers, and labourers, in many different locations throughout New Zealand.
Who can apply:
- We are looking for students finishing school or have recently left and are looking for a foot in the civil infrastructure door
- To be eligible you must be Māori between the ages of 17 – 24
- We are looking for students who have a positive attitude, willingness to learn and a minimum of a restricted drivers licence
What to expect
I’m interested – what next:
- Apply now directly online or email email@example.com
- All we need from you is your CV, driver’s license details and the location you are interested in working in.
- After you have applied online– if you are shortlisted we will give you a call for a phone screen – if you are successful you will have a face to face interview with a Downer manager in your location.
- If you impress the manager in your interview you will come on Whakatipu Tētēkura.
- After you have successfully completed the programme you will be offered a contract and then start your new role.
A role with us can advance your career and expand your skills. We offer you the opportunity to join our diverse and inclusive culture, and be part of a great team, working in a collaborative environment. We provide comprehensive training to meet the stringent criteria of our industry, a competitive remuneration package reflective of your skills and experience, and all the tools of the trade you need to do your job.